01 February 2019

2nd word of the week: Biscuits

Biscuits

I asked for a second word. I've got time.  Might as well write for 5 minutes on the word biscuit.  

When we were living onboard the Africa Mercy I learned quite a bit about biscuits.  The first thing I learned is that the vast majority of the world does not grasp/understand/approve of the concept of biscuits and gravy.  Occasionally we had breakfast for dinner (which was controversial in and of itself) and once there were biscuits and gravy - the Australians and the Europeans were quite appalled (and per usual, had no problem voicing their appallment :))(just made that word up).  They were quite appalled by lots of American things. - civilians owning guns, peanut butter and the serious lack of proper tea drinking in this country, just to mention a few.

The second thing I learned is that a biscuit in England is a cookie.  And a chip is a crisp.  And a French Fry is a chip.  And trash is rubbish.  And a diaper is a nappy.  I introduced one of my teachings (sermons? lessons?) with an elaborate chart describing and explaining all of these things.  One of my intentions when we left the ship was to continue using these words instead of the normal American words.  That hasn't really happened.  

One last quirky biscuit thing about me.  I use biscuit to name various things - for instance, if a car pulls out in front of me I might say something like  "watch out there biscuit"  or if a child makes a request I may respond with "hang on just a minute little biscuit."  

Who knew there was so much to say about biscuits?