02 January 2012

inside cover of my thankful book (i put a picture on my blog!!!!!)

for some reason i was thinking that some of you might be interested in seeing the inside cover of my "thankful book"...not sure why that thought crossed my mind...but i'm learning not to question things so much...

this journal was given to me by a precious TA girl named Tahna...she gave a simple $1 store journal to each member of our growth group and encouraged us to start a list of things that make us happy. thus, in 2004, the list began... it's not so much things that make me happy (though some of the items certainly do!)...it's more a list of gifts from God...things i'm thankful for...ways i can see God's hand at work in my life and in the lives of others (most of my thankful thursday lists originate in this book)

the inside cover is a collage of randomness that somehow relates to being thankful (or at least it does to me!). from dove chocolate wrappers to torn out magazine pages to a mary kay quote that came on a sample of makeup...it's still a work in progress.

in case you can't read all the words, here are the quotes:
  • small pleasures, simple joys, everyday miracles
  • the most enjoyable experiences are often free
  • let in the joy
  • savor every happy moment
  • what if "the season to be jolly" lasted all year long?
  • little acts of kindness can add up to a lifetime of happiness
  • let worship be more than a song
  • always being able to look forward to something special is one of life's greatest pleasures
  • enjoy the small things in life
  • God's grace is unfair
  • Let thanksgiving fill every corner of your soul
  • Gratitude lists - or prayers of gratitude - are powerful and meaningful prayers when written. prayer shouldn't just be an inventory of what we lack, but rather, a series of reminders of what we have, and what we might so easily take for granted, and forget to be grateful for...
these verses are on the back cover of my book:

isaiah 30:8 "...go now and write it all down. put it in a book so that the record will be there."
isaiah 63:7 "...i'll make a list of all of God's gracious dealings, all the things that God has done that need praising..."

i'm looking forward to the day when my book is filled....it'll take a while - maybe even a lifetime (writing one item per line on both sides of the page means you can fits LOTS of thankfulness in a little bit of space!!! and trying not to repeat things is a challenge!)...and who knows what will become of the book - maybe it'll turn to dust without anyone noticing...or maybe it'll sell for thousands on ebay...or maybe it'll become one of my children's treasures...matters not to me.... for now it's part of my daily worship...it's a tangible way to cultivate thankfulness in my life...i'm thankful to have it...and thankful to get to share the inside cover with you.