19 August 2011

prayer week - thursday night

I came in last night wondering…wondering if God would speak. I was thinking, you’ve said so much already this week….will you speak again? Why do I wonder that?! He’s got so much He wants to share with us…and even if I don’t “hear” anything, just being near Him and giving Him my full attention does more than I can even comprehend.

verses: Ezekiel 47:6b-9 and Luke 4:16-19

I ended up in Isaiah 55 (I kind of kept trying to read elsewhere but He kept bringing me back to it)… around v 3 it says, “listen carefully to my life-giving, life-nourishing words.” I said “God, I would love to hear some life-giving, life-nourishing words.”

His response (it was for me…but it applies to all of us…just insert your name...they are certainly life-giving, life-nourishing words)

“I am with you, dianna. I am for you. I care about you. I know you – I do know your going out and your coming in…I know the innermost parts of your heart and mind – I treasure you – I value you. I have time for you and I love hearing your thoughts. Your security is in me. Your adoration is for me. Your heart is mine. I love taking care of you. Enjoy the moments, dianna. Enjoy the day to day. Find joy knowing that I am with you. I’ve made a lasting covenant commitment with you – sure, solid, enduring love.” (that last part was another part of Isaiah 55, around v 3)

As I read the verses from Luke these were my thoughts/impressions: we are the poor, the prisoners, the blind, the oppressed. The river is not something “they need” – it’s not something we’re taking “to them”…the River is very much for us.

I said “that seems really obvious, God.”

He said “it is obvious – but just because it is obvious doesn’t make it any less My Truth. Sometimes you need the obvious stated very obviously.” (I was smiling at this point…I think I even chuckled out loud…though I’m not much of a chuck-ler….)

More thoughts/impressions: it’s not “us and them” – it’s just ALL US – in need of forgiveness and grace and healing and wholeness. It’s not “us in the church” and “them outside the church” it’s all “us” – sinners…rebels…needy sheep…unkempt…untidy…unrighteous… undignified… unable… undeserving… understood (what a sweet word to end on!).

My favorite quote from tonite – from a man sharing about how God has delivered Him from drug addiction – “I can’t whoop him (the enemy) but He (God) can whoop him.” Amen, brother!!!

I won’t be at prayer night tonight…the kids and I are heading to Warrenton to see my family and celebrate some birthdays. Excited to be going…but I wish I could be in 2 places at one time. Prayer week never ceases to be special.