23 August 2011

Bit of Disappointment from ye olde Baskin Robbins...a long story that doesn't amount to much of anything

So…we had a coupon for a free scoop of icecream for caroline (I’m a big fan of birthday clubs for kids…free icecream…free kids meals…free other stuff…). The coupon expired yesterday so, being the good stewards of coupons that we try to be, we had to use it. Caroline and I headed to Baskin Robbins on veterans (even though we prefer the BR in the landings…the one downtown is closer and seemed to be the best choice for today)(and EVEN THOUGH we had just been a part of a discussion about the BR downtown v the BR in the landings at lunch…and the one in the landings clearly won out…)

So we get to BR…and I make up my mind that I’m going to splurge and get a cappuccino blast – it’s hot. I have a $1 off coupon. It’s always a good time for a cappuccino blast (EVEN THOUGH the last time I got a capp blast from this particular BR it was sub par…I decided I was willing to give them another chance).

So caroline orders her “picnic punch” icecream (watermelon and green apple sherbet)(she was certainly pleased with her selection). I order my cappuccino blast…with great anticipation and excitement! The lady makes it…it looks a little funny…but looks can be deceiving – and, afterall, man may look at outward appearances but the Lord looks at the heart…in my effort to be a little like Jesus I decided to overlook the outward appearance and go for the heart of the yummy deliciousness in a cup. Ha (hope you can hear the silliness in my voice…)(yes, the verse is true…but I didn’t really think about that when I saw the cappuccino blast).

I tasted it. YUCK. Not very good at all. I tasted it again. Still yuck. Sometimes I can get a “coffee drink” and not be very pleased with the first sip…but if I continue to give it a try I eventually decide I like it and am able to enjoy the remainder of the drink (maybe there’s a life lesson in that, too). However, not so today. Every sip continued to be not good and definitely not what I wanted it to be. I ever so sweetly took it back to the counter and said “I’m so sorry to do this…but this just doesn’t taste right….could you remake it?” the lady didn’t give me too hard of a time…she remade it with not many groans and sighs and huffs (by the way, this was a different lady than the first one who made it…).

I got my 2nd drink…it looked more “right.” I took a sip. It tasted totally different than the first one…but still totally NOT like a cappuccino blast!!! (see, looks can be deceiving!!)The 2nd one may just possibly have been worse than the first one. How can this be?? Don’t they have instruction guides and step by step manuals? (aka recipes)

I just didn’t have it in me to ask them to remake it a 3rd time. My faith in getting a cappuccino blast from the BR on Veterans may never be restored.

Caroline asked “how’s that one, mama?” Me: “not so good. I’m trying to like it though."
Caroline: “try really hard.” Me: “I am! But it’s not working.” Caroline: “oh well. Maybe next time.”

Maybe next time. Maybe next time we’ll go to the BR in the landings. (no offense to the Veterans Parkway location…your picnic punch was fabulous – as I would imagine all your flavors of icecream would be…and that one guy sure enjoyed his sweet tea….and the doughnuts I’ve gotten there have been good…just not the place for cappuccino blasts. Lesson learned.)