01 November 2014

5 minutes on the word of the week: Laughter

laughter
Laughter.  What a gift! 

I got to experience a tremendous round of laughter last Friday night during one of the Africa Mercy’s Open Mic nights.  It’s kind of a tradition that we have an Open Mic night during each sail – though I wonder if it might be nice to have them more often! (now that I’m thinking about it I know we’ve had some not during a sail…but the majority of them have been during a sail!). 

Anyway…Friday night a week ago, a group of guys acted silly and it was awesome.   They wore crazy clothes and danced around like idiots and played some pretty incredible music in the process (….their musical skillz were significantly better than their wardrobe and dancing abilities...but I think that was part of the point).  I love that they were willing to just have fun for the benefit of the community.  It felt so good to laugh…and to hear others laughing (especially at the end of a sail that was particularly rough!). 

I was hoping that my abs would be sore from laughing so much – it felt like a pretty good work out…but, alas, they weren’t sore.  But I am confident that I benefitted from the laughter in so many other ways – it’s definitely good medicine. 


What is the statistic – something about kids laughing a bazillion times a day and adults only laugh 3 times…we should laugh more.  It's good for the soul.