06 June 2011

modesty monday

i’ve been thinking about modesty an extra lot again lately (and laughing at friends' accounts of immodest women...laughing....but feeling sad at the same time...makes me sad to think that some women don't have a clue - or just don't care - how their dress, actions, etc. affect men...and saddened by the thought that some women gain a (false) sense of worth from the attention they are drawing to themselves....but that's probably another conversation for another day)...

back to what i've been thinking - i've been thinking about how modesty is so much more than how we dress (though that’s a huge part of it!!) — i think modesty can accompany every aspect of how we carry ourselves in the clothes we’re wearing. we have the opportunity to be modest with our whole selves!!! what a privilege! what a challenge! i’ve been thinking about modesty in action, in our of choice words, in the way we say our words, in our “looks” (how we use our eyes!), in the way we pick things up (bend at the knees, ladies, bend at the knees! and keep your back perpendicular to the ground if possible!!!), in the way we are aware of our clothes – if they slip and slide - even if they “cover” everything when you’re looking in the mirror -- modesty may be compromised! there are so many ways we can be modest…maybe i'm just old fashioned in my thinking....and that's ok with me...just my thinking nonetheless. i'm not offended if you don't agree...

if you're at all interested in modesty, can we talk about it more? can we have these conversations openly and without judgement? can we gently call one another out on these things? that may be asking a lot. but i sure want to be called out on immodesty….so please, if you ever see me wearing/doing/being anything that is immodest PUH-LEASE tell me. i won’t be offended – i’ll be thankful. if you want me to do the same for you, just let me know.

(by the way, i desire to be called out on anything you see in my life that doesn't match up with being who God has made me to be....so please feel the freedom to confront me/constructively criticize me/speak the Truth in love to me/say what you feel like the Lord wants you to say to me!)(just be gentle if it's something that may be "hard" for me to hear!) :)