10 October 2014

5 minutes on the word of the week: defeated

defeated
ei-yi-yi  This might not be a very positive “word of the week” post. 
Defeated.  Beaten. Loser. Down. Unvictorious. Messed-it-up.  Failure.

Britney Spears singing “Oops. I did it again” just started playing in my head.  Most often I feel defeated when I’ve messed up in the same area that I mess up in so much – my patience with my children.  I hate it when I can’t stay patient.  The tape plays in my head of the ugly look I threw her way or the thoroughly terrible tone I took with him.  I am so ashamed when I throw the hairbrush down in frustration or hit my hand on the wall in aggravation.  All I can think of is how I’ve blown it – again.  I’ve failed – again.  I’ve messed up – again.  Defeated. Defeated. Defeated.

But, oh the kindness and grace of our God! Now I’ve got some Hillsong guy’s voice in my head singing “the enemy’s been defeated.  Death couldn’t hold you down.  Gonna lift our voice in victory.  Gonna make Your praises loud.”  (my apologies to the Hillsong guy for not knowing his name….)

The Truth is that the enemy HAS been defeated so that I don’t have to be.  Wish I could live in that freedom on a daily basis.  I know I am not perfect - so so so far from it…but I am loved…and forgiven…and I am given new mercies every single morning (and multiple times throughout the day).  I mess up – oh how I mess up! …but I am not defeated.  I need to stop telling myself that I am. 

 ________________
Beyond the 5 minutes:
HILLSONG – SHOUT UNTO GOD LYRICS

The enemy's been defeated
Death couldn't hold you down
Gonna lift our voice in victory
Gonna make your praises loud
(Repeat x5)

Shout unto God with a voice of triumph
Shout unto God with a voice of praise
We lift your name up
We lift your name u
p
(Repeat x7)

FUN FACT:
You can rearrange the letters in Britney Spears name and get "presbyterians,"  yup.  try it.  that's just one of the great things i learned from reading David Crowder's book "Praise Habit."  Your life is better for knowing this tidbit.