13 October 2011

my husband is awesome. i like sleep.

I’m not quite sure how to brag on my husband without sounding boastful….but my heart is not boastful, just proud (proud in the best sense of the word…not in a “prideful” way! Is that possible?!? Ha). I’m so very thankful for my husband and his friendship…and honored that I get to be nick cash’s wife…and humbled because it’s not because of me that he’s so awesome – it’s because of Him (capital “H” intentional)…and it’s because of the way he (little “h”) seeks Him (big “H”). nick loves God…and I am the number one person who benefits from how he longs to honor God. nick seeks to love me as Christ loves the church….and he does a tremendous job of that. I have the amazing privilege of knowing and experiencing God’s love through my husband. What a gift. An undeserved gift of grace and kindness. My heart is a bit overwhelmed (in the best of ways) just thinking about it.

I didn’t start this blog entry intending to say all that. I intended to say something along the lines of “I am so very blessed to have a husband who remembers our anniversaries.” (plural of anniversary intentional) The typical man -or at least those portrayed on ye olde television and in the theaters - has a hard time remembering his wedding date (and maybe it’s that he has a hard time “remembering” his wife at all…but that may be another post for another day – or another blog altogether….). My dear fella not only faithfully, consistently and wonderfully celebrates our wedding anniversary….he also remembers and celebrates the anniversary of our first kiss…and our first date…and our engagement . He’s good at celebrating us.

This year celebrating the anniversary of our first kiss was especially sweet and memorable. I woke up in the middle of the night – or at least I thought it was the middle of the night…and I got up to go to the bathroom…and I met nick coming back to bed (or at least I thought he was coming back to bed)…and he took me and hugged me and I noticed that he had super fresh breath (not a normal occurrence in the middle of the night for any normal human being)…and then he kissed me – me and my not so fresh breath and all (that was brave of him)…and said something sweet about celebrating the anniversary of our first kiss (keep in mind, my mind wasn’t fully functioning….i was trying to stay in the “it’s the middle of the night, I’m going to the bathroom and going back to sleep without fully waking up” state of being). Somewhere in that moment I realized that not only was his breath fresh, his whole body was clean…and I thought “why did he take a shower in the middle of the night?” And as I’m thinking about how good he smells and how wonderful he is to remember our first kiss in the middle of the night (not that our first kiss was in the middle of the night), somehow I realized that it is not in fact the middle of the night but rather it is the morning and it’s time for me to take a shower and get ready to go to the first day of the Catalyst Conference…and, as exciting as that thought was, really I just wanted to go to the bathroom and then crawl back in bed for the rest of my night’s sleep…

All that to say, my husband is awesome. And I like sleep. Here’s to celebrating 11 years of kissing (feel free to raise your glass and say “cheers”) (toasting is quite the fun activity….).