30 September 2016

5 minutes on the word of the week: pursuit

Pursuit
Oh, that Declaration of Independence that I studied in American Government with Mr. Hammond....I don't remember much about it but the one thing I do remember is the lines about... 
...holding these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal and that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights - life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness... 
Or something like that (inalienable?). 

That's pretty amazing that those establishing a new nation, a new government, a new way of life would put the pursuit of happiness in the same category as life and liberty (and mark them as rights given by God!) (and have it following close behind the statement that all men are created equal).  Seems significant.  

The pursuit of happiness...a right that we have as humans have.  What does that mean? 

A few things that I pursue that make me happy:  

  • questions
  • sunshine (the kind that warms a car up on a cold day)
  • thoughtfulness and kindness
  • dove milk chocolate
  • authenticity
  • pajama pants and hoodies

I don't think that's quite what the forefathers were thinking...but it's what I'm thinking.  

What does your pursuit of happiness look like?