23 January 2015

5 minutes on the word of the week: Laughter

Laughter
“Make a joyful noise to Lord…”  I do believe laughter fits into that category. Laughter…it’s a gift, a balm, good medicine.  I think we laugh because the happiness can’t be contained – it has to come bubbling out.  And sometimes we laugh so that we don't explode.  There are certainly times when I choose laughter to keep from crying (especially if I'm in pain...)(I don't know why...just part of how I'm wired...).

Favorite laughs:
  • Josh Young – it’s loud and strong…and can often be heard across the ship.
  • Elisabeth – she snorts.  And I love it.  I snort sometimes…and that makes me laugh all the more.
  • Caroline’s giggle.  It’s infectious and contagious. 

Another favorite is when you get to giggling in a moment when you really aren’t supposed to be giggling (like during a prayer…or at a funeral….).  The more you try to stop the more you can’t…and it hurts like crazy to not laugh and then it comes out in a big burst and is totally embarrassing. Nope, that’s never happened to me. 

Nick likes it when I make myself laugh.  I often think things are funny – even if no one else does.  I think I’m funny far more often than anyone else does.


I’m thinking laughter is kind of like fingerprints…a sweet gift from God that makes us who we are.  So many different kinds of laughter and different reasons for laughter….laugh on.