02 July 2010

a great mom moment

i told my children that i couldn't be their mama today.

it was one of those mornings where they were fussing (or maybe it was me that was fussing)...and i'd heard "mama, can you...." and "mama, i need...." and "mama, she this..." and i just had to take a little break. one of my little ones said "mama, could you....?" and i said "i'm sorry. i just can't be your mama right now. i'll be right back." i took a little break. i walked into another room. after a couple of minutes (minutes spent wisely praying and regrouping and getting myself together) i came back and said "alright. i can be your mama again...what is it you need?"

that worked for me. and it worked for them. i couldn't be their mama right then - not the mama they needed....not the mama that God has called me to be...not the mama i wanted to be. so i took a break. i do believe that break was God's provision for me. it's ok to not be perfect all the time (or any of the time). it's ok for me to admit that i can't do it. it's ok to walk away, regroup and come back.

i titled this "a great mom moment" thinking it was far from it....but, in hindsight and by the grace of God, i think it really was a great mom moment. He's so good and faithful. He HAS given us everything we need for life and godliness - everything we need to be the mom/wife/friend/person that He created us to be. He has given us permission to take a break and not be a mama for a moment...to just be His child who desperately needs Him every moment...to come away by myself to a quiet place and get some rest (even for 2 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment