20 January 2019

5 minutes on the word of the week: resist

Resist

Resist the devil and he will flee from you.  Resist the devil - don't give in to his wily schemes and half truths and twisted lies and ridiculousness that is oh so wicked and cunning.  Resist him and he will flee - he will leave.  He will go back to hell where he belongs.  Resist him.  Call him out on his loser-status and remember your own victory-status.  Resist him - fight back...resist the fear he wants you to be paralyzed by.  Resist the chains he's trying to bind you up with.  Kick, scream, flail, make a big deal....I don't think it's a passive resisting that's going to do the trick.


Submit yourself to God...that's what comes immediately before the resisting part.  Submit yourself to God - put yourself completely and 1000% under God's Authority.  It's under His authority (not our own) that we can resist the devil...and the devil will flee.  It's not a magic trick.  It's a promise.

This feels like a silly story to share - but if I ever find myself feeling a bit frightened (the last time it happened I was walking on our dark driveway), I just act like I'm not frightened.  I start smiling and humming a song...I'm not for a second going to let the enemy of my soul know that I'm feeling a bit fearful.  He can't read my mind...so he and his horrible demons don't know that I"m feeling scared unless I act scared.  If I act brave, he thinks I am brave...and the amazing thing is that I end up feeling brave.  I'm not really saying "fake it 'til you make it"....but kind of...in this case, it's my method of resisting.   (and I doubt the enemy reads my blog...but if he does, now he knows my trick.  I may have to come up with other methods of not feeling afraid of the dark - a flashlight sounds like a good idea.)

Other things I want to resist:

  • comparisons
  • thinking about what others think
  • drinking too many cokes
  • eating too many sweets
  • getting frustrated
  • losing my patience
  • complacency/laziness
  • feeling sorry for myself
  • complaining
  • selfishness