04 January 2019

5 minutes on the word of the week: content

I was thinking about "Five Minute Fridays" (aka "Word of the Week") and decided that I'd do another round of it.  Basic gist:  I get a word from a friend, I write for 5 minutes, I edit/format for a couple of minutes, I post it (without thinking about it too much before or after).  Without further adieu, this week's word...


Content
How did you read it?  Content (as in "what something is made up of") or content (as in "satisfied")(and maybe that's not even the best word for content but it's what came out and I've only got 5 minutes!)?  Maybe one's content is directly correlated to one's being content.  

What's in me?  comparisons...selfishness...greed...jealousy....lust....

Or what's in me? gratefulness...satisfaction...willingness to see the enough rather than the lack.  

I certainly think that the second list is what leads to being content and the first list is some of the enemy's tactics for keeping us from the gift of being content that God is holding out to each of us.    

There's the verse in Philippians 4 that says "I've learned the secret to being content in all circumstances."  What's the secret, Paul??  I'm not entirely certain...but I'm pretty positive it has something to do with rejoicing (4:4) and thankfulness (4:6) and fixing our minds on the things listed in verse 8.  

Grateful for what we have.  Satisfied. Not always wanting more more more. An acknowledgement that God is with us and He is enough...and I am enough in Him.  I could write for hours on that one.  Maybe there should be a 5 hour Friday someday. 

And one last thought as the timer runs out, being content is a choice.  This world isn't handing out contentment...I want to be one that chooses to be content in all circumstances.  I maybe definitely certainly have a long way to go.