02 February 2014

wise words

I am hoping this post won't be offensive in any way...it's certainly not intended to offend.  It's a quote from a fiction book that I'm reading: "Under the Southern Moon" by Virginia Gaffney. It's set in Virginia in 1860.  The words this slave (man it's hard to type that word) shares with her daughter are beautiful - and are exactly what I've been thinking about lately....maybe it'll give you something to think about, too.  

"…for now that means your life gonna be right here.  That leaves you only one thin’ to do.  You gots to live as hard as you can where you be.  You gots to look deep inside and find out all the thin’s you got to give the world – then you got to give it.  You can’t spend all your days lookin' backward. And you can’t spend all your days lookin’ forward.  It’s today that counts.  You’s got to bloom where you’re planted.  God’s got you planted here for now.” 
God's got me planted here for now...I want to live as hard as I can where I am.