06 January 2013

100 goals.

i don't really want to do this.

so why would i do it?

only because he's telling me to.  He's telling me to share my 100 goals...so here goes.

seems like most everything has a story that goes with it.  i would imagine that some people like to hear the story and that some people don't (that probably rings true in most everything - some people like it/get it, some people don't.).  if you are a story kind of person, read on.  if you're not, just skip down a bit...

back a few years ago, in the year of our Lord 2008, on a Teen Advisor beach retreat, one of the girls was doing her homework.  yup, doing her homework on the beach retreat.  kudos to her (i suppose if you've got to do homework you might as well get it done at the beach??).  her homework assignment was to come up with 100 goals for her life.  i thought (and said outloud)(kiiind of kidding...but not really) "it would be fun to have those kinds of assignments...someone should assign me to write 100 goals for my life."  so anna did.  sweet anna bray - who just happens to be one of my favorite girls God ever created - gave me one month to come up with 100 goals.  so i did.  and it was fun. 

so every year on or around january 1, i take a look at my 100 goals.  i check off the ones that i've accomplished and i come up with more goals to replace them (per goal # 33 replace any “achievable achieved goals” with new ones). 

this year, as i was reading through the list, i felt like God was saying "share this."

My response: "ummm...no...please no...."

His gentle response was "yeah...share it...I want you to share it."

Me: (long pause)  "ooooook.  but do i have to share all of it?"

Him: "not this time.  just some of it."

Me: "whew!  thanks!  what part?!"

Him:  "you choose."

Me:  "ok.  will You help me?"

Him:  "always."

so here I am, trying to be obedient...even though it seems kind of crazy. but i'll do it - because He told me to. 

Basically all of the goals are color coded by category:
*done *ongoing *to be done

some are simple. some are difficult. some are silly. some are serious.  some feel like they may never happen...some have been accomplished without any real effort on my part.  it was extra interesting going over the list this year - realizing that quite a few of my goals are no longer applicable since we've moved --  goal #48 support local businesses whenever possible rather than large chain stores goal #98 find out if it’s legal to have a baby goat – and get one (maybe) ...there aren't really chain stores here...and goats are absolutely legal (but not on the ship).  not sure if i should replace those or just keep them for the future....

Some more samples/examples:
goal # 2 take a vitamin every day (to make up for my dislike of vegetables)
goal #3 drink no more than 2 sodas a week  (this one needs some work/definite improvement in 2013!  my soda in take is a bit more than 2 a week....)
goal #27 let the divine nod of approval be sufficient
goal #56 take my children on a mission trip (July 2012, Ghana)
goal #59 dance in the rain (october 2008)
goal #63 research foster care/adoption and see if that’s something the Lord has for the Cash family (wholeheartedly pursuing adoption, april 2010)(adoption "on hold" March 2012)
goal #66 learn to make fun envelopes like the ones bonnie sends
goal #78 go to Hawaii with Amy (which could go nicely with goal #73 sleep in a house on a cliff that overlooks the ocean with the windows open)
goal #127 (to replace #121) get caught up on the kids’ journal
goal #107 (to replace #49) make pillows with my sewing abilities (learn to sew is goal #106)

i still don't want to hit "publish"...and i'm not sure anyone actually wants to read it.  oh well, i'm just trying to be obedient...it's not my job to be concerned with the results (and not my job to be overly concerned with the formatting of this post...it's not cooperating!!!)

Happy 2013. may it be a year of setting and reaching all the goals that God has for us.  no more.  no less.