05 May 2012

prayer night - friday night


Focus Verses: Ezekiel 47:1-12 and Matthew 5:13-16

My thoughts on the Ezekiel verses (and on the fact that this passage is at the core of Christ Community Church): I love the river! The river itself…the picture of the river…the concept of the river.  I really like it. 

God’s response: “Me, too!  I am in the River – that’s why it’s so enjoyable.”

As I read the verses from Ezekiel, I couldn’t get my mind away from these phrases:
V 1 – He brought me…
V2 – He brought me…
V 3 – He led me through…
V 4 – He led me through… (2 more times!)
V 6 – He led me back…

I’m not exactly sure who “the man” is doing the leading (I’m sure a host of commentaries or biblical scholars could give great insight to that…)…but as I read, I had the deep sense of the fact that Ezekiel was never alone – not once in the process did “the man” give instructions and walk off.  The man brought and led and led back…I love that we are not in this alone…we are not called to do this on our own. 

And then V11 stood out to me where it says “the swamps and marshes will not become fresh, they will be left for salt.”  And it was interesting thinking about that verse as I read Matthew 5:13 where we’re told “you are here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth.” 

My thoughts:  the swamps and marshes feel like the hard parts of life – the things that are dark, murky, sinking, hard to navigate…but maybe those are the very places that places that house the salt…the salt that brings out the God-flavors of this earth….