11 March 2012

in honor of my best friend and his 32nd birthday....32 favorites

some of my favorite things about nick (in no particular order - except the last 2...which are really the first 2):
  1. He makes me feel special and beautiful and valuable.
  2. He gives me way more credit than I deserve.
  3. He thanks me for doing things that I consider "what I'm supposed to do" (and what alot of others consider as "thankless" jobs because they don't get the gift of a thank you).
  4. He doesn't yell at me (or anyone)(I really don't like to be yelled at...who does!? I don't even like to be honked at....). And he doesn't "scare" me on purpose (you know....jump out and say "boo" just for fun...or creep outside a window and tap on it....or anything ridiculous like that. some people think that's funny. i don't.)(in fact, he's so thoughtful, he'll intentionally be loud so that he doesn't sneak up on me on accident....)
  5. My family (dad, mom, sister, brothers, etc.) loves him.
  6. He's smart and has a good vocabulary.
  7. He does things with excellence - even when 'man' wouldn't expect excellence, Nick still does things excellently (as to the Lord...and not unto man)
  8. He plays with our children
  9. He prays for our children.
  10. He tucks me in at night.
  11. He'll hug me or hold me anytime I need/want him to.
  12. He's not afraid to cry
  13. He's not afraid of me crying.
  14. He remembers and celebrates all of our anniversaries - 1st kiss, 1st date, wedding (we don't always celebrate it but he knows the date of our engagement)(he's faster to answer questions about "us" and our timeline than I am....I usually have to think about it)
  15. He didn't kiss me until 9 months after we started dating (I can't explain how sweet it was to not even have to think about the kissing and stuff -- though that's CERTAINLY ENJOYABLE and I love every kiss we get to share -- knowing that he wasn't going to kiss me in the early days of dating allowed us to build a strong foundation on so much more than physical interaction!)
  16. He taught me to drive a manual car (he very patiently taught me as we went over the speed bumps at shorter college)
  17. He's really good with words - especially written words. And he generously shares his words with so many - me, our kids, our co-workers, our friends, others that receive letters/emails from him...
  18. He is so capable -he's so good at so many things....a Renaissance man (I don't even know if I'm spelling that correctly...but I bet he does). I am convinced he can do pretty much anything he puts his mind to.
  19. He doesn't mind that I'm not into shopping and style and such
  20. He's not concerned with the opinions of others (in either direction - high or low!)
  21. He's an amazingly excellent gift giver. He should write a book for men on how to give their wives/girlfriends/special someone's fantastic gifts. 99% of the time the gifts are not something you can get in a store....
  22. He takes the trash out without being reminded
  23. He loves cherry coke as much as I do.
  24. He's not afraid to say hard things if he knows it's for the good of our relationship
  25. He's athletic and in shape - but without being fanatical about it or addicted to it
  26. He's "tidy" - not one to leave wet towels or underwear or any of the other stereotypical things strewn about on the floor.
  27. He's very organized and an excellent record keeper
  28. He's committed to saying what he means and meaning what he says -- to not being passive aggressive/manipulative with his words
  29. He doesn't talk bad about others/gossip -- even when I really think a situation would "call for it"/it would totally be "justified", he just doesn't - and that's admirable.
  30. He spends money wisely - manages our budget, considers purchases before making them, doesn't buy on impulse, looks for deals, etc.
  31. My 2nd most favorite thing: Nick is who he says he is -and he is who he appears to be. The person you see up on stage or leading a Bible study or worshipping is the very same man who lives within the walls of 2215 19th Ave. Nick lives a life of integrity and authenticity.
  32. My 1st most favorite thing: Nick loves his God with all of his heart, soul, mind and strength. and THAT is at the core of everything else that makes him so amazing and so incredible.
i am one blessed woman.

thank you, God, for the gift of nick and for the gift of our marriage and friendship...
.