30 June 2012

bugs & rocks & spider webs & such

“As quick as you shake off a fly…as quick as you remove a rock from your shoe…as quick as you clear a spiderweb from your face –that’s the quickness that you need to respond with when the enemy lies to you.  Immediate action.” 

That was one of the things I felt like God spoke to me last weekend during our silent retreat (I had my fair share of bugs and rocks and spiderwebs).  All week I’ve been thinking about it – and have had lots of tangible, hands on (and in face) reminders of it… Here are some of things I’ve been thinking about:

The enemy is a liar.  He just is.  When he speaks, he lies – that’s his native language…lying is what comes natural to him…what he’s always spoken.  At times he’s pesky like a bug…other times annoying like walking into a spider web…other times there’s a clear risk involved – there’s the potential to be stung or bitten.  Other times it’s rather frightening and intimidating…

I’m not saying it’s always possible to avoid the lies and traps of the enemy (or is it?!)….but LOTS of his traps and lies are completely avoidable if we’ll just have our eyes wide open and be on the lookout (I’ll let you draw your own conclusions and such from the rest of this…)
  • Some paths are more prone to spiderwebs….if you know they are coming, you can act accordingly!
  •  Sometimes the wasp nest or ant hill is clearly visible – clearly avoidable.
  •  Sometimes the very tool we need to clear the spiderweb is right there for us to pick up (I’ve found walking with a stick to be quite helpful…I probably look like I’m doing some sort of chants or mystical movement waving the stick around in front of me [maybe like that one lady at the track...]…but it clears the webs from my path and I’d rather look silly than have spider webs all in my face)(lots of lessons in that)
  • Sometimes it’s as simple as being still and letting the bug fly away - not wasting any effort and not giving it any attention whatsoever.
  • Sometimes it means choosing another route altogether. 
  • It’s ridiculous to walk around with a rock in your shoe….especially when the solution is so simple – take it out.
I'm thankful that God is willing to use rocks & bugs & spiderwebs to remind me of His Truth…His  Truth really does set us from…and especially sets us free from the lies that would try to entangle us.