19 August 2019

thoughts from sunday's sermon - identity. beloved. hidden.

I had lots of thoughts during church yesterday morning and wanted to share them here.  These aren't really my notes from the sermon - but are things that came to mind during the sermon.  (I guess one could call those sermon notes - just wanted to clarify that these aren't really notes directly from what was spoken in the sermon) (I  must admit that I was pretty excited that my thoughts during the sermon had to do with the sermon - that's not always the case...)

We've started a new 4 week series at Christ Community on Identity (sermons can be found at ccclive.org - along with all kinds of other information about the life and happenings of CCC).

Identity is easily one of my most favorite topics.  If we all truly truly knew who we are in God...if we could all live as His beloved...man oh man.  That would change EVERYTHING!  We'd never feel insecure...we'd never compare...we'd never compete...we'd never be jealous...we could celebrate others...we would not worry or stress or strive...we could live in freedom and help others do the same...we could be loved and be love...

I want to live as His beloved.

The title of this 4 week sermon series is "Fully You"...though the phrase that came to my mind is "Fully His"...when we are fully His, we can be fully US (I can be fully me...you can be fully you...) When we know who God is (not perfectly, that's not possible!  He's so incredible to let us keep learning more and more and more about His character and love)...then we can hear who He says we are.

Questions to think on:
  • Who do you say God is?
  • What kind of God is He?
  • What does His voice sound like in your life?
Side note: if our picture/sound of God is one of condemnation or harshness or stern overbearing, we probably need to spend some more time with Him...

While the sermon series is titled "Fully You" the title of the message was "Come Out of Hiding"...which immediately made me think of Steffany Gretzinger's song with the same name.


Just think on some of these lyrics for a minute...
Come out of hiding you're safe here with Me
There's no need to cover what I already see
'Cause I loved you before you knew it was love
Now rid of the shackles, My victory is yours  
You can read the full lyrics here if you'd like.

I am beyond grateful that we are safe with Him. No need to hide.  He sees us - everything about us!  AND HE LOVES US.  He knows my selfishness and my self-centeredness...He knows my propensity to get overwhelmed and frustrated and my ridiculous quickness to criticize and compare.  He knows me.  All of me.  AND HE LOVES ME.  (and it's true for you, too.  He truly loves you.)

And it's His Love that matters.  It's His opinion that matters.  It's always been His opinion that matters.  It's always been His Love that matters.

Allowing myself to be defined by my own opinions or the opinions of others is just faulty and unpredictable and unreliable and, in the words of Kid President "it's just not right." (#2 in this fabulous video) (you're welcome)

So now the question is:  

  • Who does HE say that I am? 

This song could help you think on that.



  • Who are you, TRULY?  
  • Who does He say that you are? 

You can google "Who does God say that I am?" - and there are lots of resources and references and tools and sermons that are helpful  OR (and this is what I would recommend we all do) we can ask Him directly.  Just ask Him.  And sit and listen as He tells you who you are.  

Another one of my favorite questions to ask Him is, "God, what are your thoughts towards me?" That one is especially helpful when I'm feeling not so great about myself.

One of my final thoughts from yesterday's sermon goes back to "hiding".  Even though He's drawing us out of hiding - He says there's no need to hide from Him - He does say that we are hidden with Christ in God. So if you ever feel the need to hide, hide with Him.  Hide in Him.

And maybe in that hiding spot we can listen as He tells us more and more about who He is and who we are.

Surely there will be more to come.