23 August 2019

5 minutes on the word of the week: release

It's been a while but I've found myself with 5 minutes so I requested a word.
Release
To let go.  Maybe especially to let go of what we no longer need to hold on to.  Release in order to grasp something else.  

The tricky bit may be knowing when to release and when to keep holding on.  

"Palms up hands open" is often the picture the Lord gives me in regards to things/decisions/plans.  

Fists clenched and holding on tightly doesn't seem to work...but neither does palms down and hands empty - unable to hold on to anything.  Palms up, hands open - ready and willing to receive whatever the Lord wants to put there, for however long...while ready to release it all back to Him.  (So then it's really up to Him whether something stays or goes.)  

These lyrics come to mind: 
I lean not on my own understanding,  My life is in the hands of the maker of heaven.  I Give it all to you God,  Trusting that you'll make something beautiful out of me.  I will climb this mountain.  With my hands wide open.
There's nothing I hold onto....
May God give us courage and wisdom and peace and grace to gently hold what He has entrusted us with...and faithfully release whatever it is He is asking us to release.